September 26, 2016

How to get a chalk painted jar vase in 5 easy steps

How to get a chalk paint mason jar vase in 5 easy steps

Hi friends,

I have been working on some projects over the last few weeks the majority of them were super easy and quick diy’s.  My friend Kelly from North Country Nest and I actually talked the other day about how much we love easy and quick DIY projects.  Especially when you spend a lot of time on major renovation projects like putting in a new kitchen.  So today I will share another super easy DIY with you, chalk paint mason jar vases.

Chalk painted jar vase – material you need

Mason Jar {affiliate link}

Chalk paint

Clear top coat

Brush

Burlap Ribbon {affiliate link}

Sandpaper

Goo Gone {affiliate link}

Alcohol wipes

Glue

Chalk painted jar vase – step by step guide

As I said this is such an easy and quick diy.  Let’s get into each step

Step 1: clean mason jar

So the first step is to clean the Mason jar.  This is especially important if you don’t use a new jar.  I actually ended up using a mustard jar which I brought with me from Germany.  Side note you guys need to try out Löwensenf if you truly love mustard.  So first I soaked the jar in hot soapy water.  I scraped off the labels with a blade afterwards and used goo gone on the stubborn glue leftovers.  I put the jar into the dishwasher to give another good wash.  Lastly I used alcohol wipes to clean it one last time.

Step 2: paint jars

I actually ended up mixing some regular paint color with some white chalk paint.  Since I promised hubby to use the blue he picked for the master bathroom in one way or another.  I applied one coat and then let it dry for an hour.  I applied a second coat and then again let it dry for another hour.

Step 3: distress

I used a small piece of 180 grit sandpaper to distress the jar around the logo as well as the rim.  I left it at that because I loved the way it looked.

Step 4: apply protective top coat

After I was done distressing I applied a coat of protective top coat.  They only had the spray bottle at my local Home Depot store and I thought it would work fine with this vase.

Step 5:  Apply burlap ribbon

I didn’t want to leave the vase bare and the mustard company usually has their label in the middle of the jar.  So I thought this would be the perfect spot to add some burlap ribbon.  I cut the ribbon to fit in width and then wrapped it around the jar.  I actually did it while the top coat was still sticky.  This is optional and you can wait for the top coat to try completely and instead use some glue to stick it to the jar.  Let it dry for an hour.

And that’s that!  I promised you it was a super easy DIY and doesn’t it look nice?  I am so in love with our chalk painted vase and the best part is I spent only a dollar for the burlap!  Awesome deal, right?

Click here to see some easy DIY’s.  Digging the farmhouse style?  Check out my favorite farmhouse home decor here.

As always thanks for stopping by and happy dyi’ng.

* This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure here.*

• Reply Five Marigolds September 26, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I love mason jars for all.the.things! I have yet to paint mine yet, though!

• Reply Sabrina September 26, 2016 at 8:11 pm

I know aren’t they the greatest. It is super easy!!

• Reply Lauren @ Glitter & Grandeur September 26, 2016 at 8:53 pm

This is great! Your example is beautiful and you explain everything so well. Thank you for sharing! I can’t wait to give it a try!

• Reply Sabrina September 27, 2016 at 12:35 am

Thank you Lauren for stopping by and for your sweet words. I can’t wait what yours will look like!

• Reply Tara Berries September 26, 2016 at 11:51 pm

What a cute idea and super affordable!

• Reply Sabrina September 27, 2016 at 12:35 am

Thank you Tara, so sweet of you to say! I am glad you like it!

• Reply Bekah September 27, 2016 at 1:23 pm

cute vase! I’m looking forward to working with some chalk paint 🙂

• Reply Sabrina September 28, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I am glad you like it Bekah! I am so obsessed with chalk paint now, you better prepare yourself you will never go back to normal paint color!

• Reply Terryn Winfield September 27, 2016 at 2:33 pm

That is such a great deal! I love how you share DIYs that are so doable for everyone. They look so beautiful too! Thanks for the inspiration once again!

• Reply Sabrina September 28, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Awe, than you so much Terryn for stopping by and for your sweet words. I so appreciate it! I am glad you love my easy DIY’s and I hope you will be able to do some of them yourself!

• Reply Mamaguru September 28, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Wow! I love these, especially the milky blue color. I’ll definitely try them!

• Reply Krista Nile September 29, 2016 at 12:39 am

Mason jars are my favorite! This is an awesome tutorial!

• Reply Sabrina September 30, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Thank you Krista, I am glad you liked it. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Shirley Wood September 29, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Your jar is really pretty. I love your color choices! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday.

• Reply Sabrina September 30, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Awe thank you Shirley for saying that, it means a lot to me! Well thank you for hosting Merry Monday! It is one of my favorite parties!

• Reply Emy September 29, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Love this idea! You chose a beautiful color!

• Reply Sabrina September 30, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Thank you Emy, that is so sweet of you to say! I am so glad you liked it!

• Reply Sarah @ Making Joy and Pretty Things October 3, 2016 at 11:46 am

Love it!! The burlap ribbon really gives it a nice touch. Change out those flowers for each season and it could be displayed year round. Such a great idea!

• Reply Colette @ restyle it wright October 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Looks great Sabrina! Quick and easy DIYs are the best!

• Reply Lora October 3, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Simple and sweet — the best kind of crafts 🙂

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Thank you Lora. I love the simple and easy projects the best.

• Reply Jennifer October 6, 2016 at 4:44 am

The vase is so lovely. I never think of this though I have a lot of waste jars. Thanks for sharing, Sabrina!

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 12:33 pm

You are welcome Jennifer. Believe it or not but I use jars for everything. Hubby and I actually keep the pasta sauce jars and use them as drink glasses ?. He keeps telling me I am crazy but oh well.

• Reply Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins October 8, 2016 at 4:13 am

I have SO MANY mason jars! This would be a perfect little gift for birthdays or Christmas (filled with something of course). 🙂

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I am glad you like it Shani. There are so many possibilities and you can pretty much create it however you want it to be. I am so excited for you!

• Reply Erin Taylor November 8, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Really fantastic guidelines here on having a chalk painted jar vase , which for me is essential! Stunning images too!
    Thanks for sharing with us Sabrina.

• Reply Sabrina November 8, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Thank you Erin, that is so sweet of you to say! I am glad you like it 🙂