September 7, 2016

How to pick the right floors in 3 easy steps

How to pick the right floor

Hi Friends,

There are so many different types of floors like tile, hardwood floor, vinyl, carpet and so on.  Picking the right floor can be such a headache considering the options.  Each kind has his pluses and minuses.  So you want to make sure that you find the right type for you.  How do you decide what floor is right?  Well that’s a good question, let me explain you how to pick the right floor.

3 Steps to pick the right floors

So when we were about to pick our floors we did a ton of research.  We looked at all the pros and cons.  In the end we decided that it needs to do the following three things.

Step 1: Fit our Lifestyle

We wanted our floors to work with pets, handle the Florida weather, are easy to clean and last.  We also wanted them to work not just for us but also for others.  Hubby wants to be able to rent out the house in the future.  So ask yourself what do you do in your home?  What do your floors need be to able to do to be the right floors?

Step 2: your Style

We both love the idea of having a cozy, comfortable and inviting home.  The farmhouse style is our favorite style so we knew we wanted something that would reflect that.  We also knew that we wanted the cohesive look.  So ask yourself what is your style?

Step 3: Budget

As with everything in life we try not to spend too much money.  We had a specific number in mind and wanted to stick with it.  So we had to look for something that would work with our budget.  Ask yourself how much you are able to spend.  Make sure you include the costs for material and possibly labor.

What floors we picked

As I mentioned we love the farmhouse style so we wanted dark wood.  However wood is not the most durable or the cheapest.  So we settled for wood looking tile which fit all of our criteria.  It has the farmhouse look, it’s durable and long lasting and cheaper than hardwood floor.  We installed our floors almost a year ago and we still love it.  Here is a Dark Walnut Tile which looks similar to the one we ordered {affiliate link}

I hope you found these tips helpful.  If so, pin it and share it with your friends.

Find out how we put down our floors here.

As always thanks so for stopping by and happy designing.

* This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure here.*

• Reply Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins September 10, 2016 at 3:17 am

Great tips Sabrina! When my husband and I were choosing flooring for our basement, we found a great option called vinyl plank flooring. It looks like wood but it’s all vinyl! A cheaper option and looks just as awesome.

• Reply Sabrina September 10, 2016 at 10:14 pm

That is such a great idea! We will be tiling the basement as well just because we have to so much leftover! It is so nice especially when you have pets and during puppy potty training!

• Reply Sarah @ Making Joy and Pretty Things September 11, 2016 at 1:12 am

Great tips,Sabrina! We chose bamboo floors because they were pretty. Well, that backfired. They show EVERY SINGLE SCRATCH possible. Horrible!! I love the look of wood tile. We were looking at that for our master bathroom renovation!

• Reply Sabrina September 12, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Thank you Sarah, I am glad you liked the tips. I am sorry to hear about your floors, I know how aggravating that can be. I used to have laminate in my apartment in Germany and I had the same issues with scratches. Another reason why I love the wood looking tile! Wow that is awesome, I can’t wait to see your updated bathroom, hopefully with the tile 🙂

• Reply Lora September 12, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I LOVE wood look tile. We have it in both our bathrooms and our laundry room. I’d install it again in a minute!

• Reply Sabrina September 12, 2016 at 8:23 pm

We love it too! It’s so durable and easy to maintain. Did you guys on subfloor?

• Reply Tamar September 15, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Great tips Sabrina, We chose bamboo floors because they were pretty We have it in both our bathrooms and our laundry room
    thanks for sharing

• Reply Sabrina September 15, 2016 at 2:10 pm

You are welcome Tamar. I love bamboo floors, they look so nice and pretty 🙂

• Reply Kimclark September 15, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Thanks for sharing useful information,this is A cheaper option and looks just as awesome. I like wood floor.

• Reply Sabrina September 16, 2016 at 2:24 am

Thank you Kim, I am glad you like it!

• Reply Kevin E. Brown September 16, 2016 at 4:19 am

The tips are simple but useful. However, I usually have difficulties in finding floors fit both our budget and our style. Would you please share your favorite store to order floors?

• Reply Sabrina September 17, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Hi Kevin, thank you so much for stopping by. We bought our floors at Home depot on Veterans day since they offered additional discounts to Veterans. I recommend that you check the big chains (Lowes, Home Depot etc) and see if they any sales going on. Another good place are builder outlets. Those places have a decent selection and the prices are super cheap. No matter what you have to make compromises when it comes to renovating your home. We always ask ourselves what is more important the look or the budget. I hope this helps.

• Reply Alan C. Brown September 16, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for your useful tips, Sabrina. They are truly helpful me now. I and my partner decided to repaint our kitchen, we prefer white or blue for wall and im confused to choose color for floor, dark or light wood?hmm

• Reply Sabrina September 17, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Hi Alan, wow a kitchen renovation is a fun project. A few questions you want to ask yourself, do you want to just change the floor in your kitchen or do you eventually want to have a cohesive floor all through out the house? If you want to be cohesive you have to pick something that will work in all the rooms. Also keep in mind that the wall colors can easily be changed, the floors not so much. If your home is light and has towns of natural light I would go with a dark floor otherwise with a lighter floor. You don’t want your home to be dark and moody, floors can pay a big role to that. You could also go with a medium brown (home depot has a costal grey option) or reclaimed wood that would be a good alternative.

• Reply Erin Taylor September 17, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Great tips. This is essential for people who is trying to find suitable floors. Thank you for useful sharing.

• Reply Sabrina September 18, 2016 at 1:35 am

Thank you Erin, I am glad you like the tips!

• Reply Ana October 1, 2016 at 4:16 am

Hi Sabrina, your tips are very helpful. We all know that choosing the right floor which both matches our style and our wallet is not easy at all 🙂 For me, I like wood floor with bright color that makes my home look warm and cozy. I really like your post. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Aw, thank you Ana for saying that. I love light and bright myself but in our case the darker floors made way more sense. It hides the dust bunnies really well too, hihi

• Reply Thomas October 4, 2016 at 12:06 am

For busy family with pets and kids like us, I always choose to pick the hardest wood species. Hard species, such as red oak, will withstand wear and tear for a great time, I find this’s correct. I have heard that softer species, such as pine, tend to show scratches. Hmmm that’s not cool right?
    Btw, thank you so much Sabrina for useful sharing tips. !!!

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Thank you Thomas for stopping by and for giving these great tips. That’s so good to know!

• Reply Laura October 7, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Choosing right floor is truly a big headache but at least it should match 3 above things. I love simple style, that’s why dark wood is always my favourite. But now, i have trouble with buying carpet for living room and i think i can pick it perfectly as your steps. Thanks so much!

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Awe, I am glad you like it Laura. I know picking the right floors can be such a pain. But as you said if you keep the 3 steps in mind it should make it a lot easier.