September 28, 2016

How to put down tile over sub flooring | Part III

How to put down tile

Hello there,

And welcome back to my last post about how to put down tile.  I feel like the blog series has almost been as long as the actual process, jk!!  (Here are part I and part II in case you missed them) Tiling 1,500 SqFt took what felt like fo’ever.  Which it obviously didn’t since we do have beautiful floors right now but man it felt like it would never end.

As I mentioned in my previous two posts in this series, tiling our upper floor was the biggest project we have done to date.  It was, by far, the project that took the most out of me.  Both hubby and I worked our tales off.  Looking around our beautiful home right now, all the sweat and tears were so worth it.

Every time I look at before and after pictures, I can’t stop smiling and feeling so proud of my husband and even myself.  We have done so much already and the house does not look at all anymore the way it did when we bought it.  Click here to see some of the before and after pictures.

Anyway, let’s hop right into the last and final step of tiling over sub-flooring.  Once again here are hubby’s detailed instructions on how to grout and finish.

Want a free Floor Installation Guide? Click right here!

How to put down tile – Grout:

• Grout should be thinner than the thin-set was, with a mayonnaise-like consistency.
  • With your margin trowel at 30° lay grout in direction of gap lines.
  • With your margin trowel at 60° finish with sweeps at 45° to grout lines.
  • Grout from room’s perimeter, to room’s center.
  • Carefully wash tile with wet sponge 20-30 minutes after grout’s application using a circular motion.
  • Repeat until clean.
  • May need to wipe haze away with a cloth several times after wiping with sponge.
  • Do not walk on tile for 72 hours (or manufacturer’s suggested time) after applying grout.

How to put down tile – Finish:

• Apply caulk to 1/4” gap at perimeter and plumbing.
  • Apply a silicone grout sealer three weeks after applying grout.

Here are some pictures of how our floors like mid process and before we installed base boards.

Living room

Living room – facing down the hall

I have to say that all the hard work totally paid off and I am so happy we did it ourselves.  It’s not perfect, and we do have some high points, but the house has character now.  We love the layout a lot though!

Don’t forget to get your free Floor Installation Guide here!

And that my friend is the end of this post.  I might write a post on how we installed the base boards but that will have to wait until hubby gets back.  Hubby installed them all one day while I was at work.  My job was it to caulk them, to countersink the nails, to fill the nail holes and to paint the boards.  And I did an incredible job, if I might say so. . .jk.

If you want to see more of our renovation projects, click here.

As always thanks so much for stopping and happy renovating!

• Reply Maria Brittis September 29, 2016 at 12:41 am

This is such a great post especially since I want to learn to do this.Both tile and flooring is my goal some day. Will save this.
    Maria

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Aw, I am glad you like it Maria! I can’t wait to see what your floors will look like!

• Reply Melissa September 30, 2016 at 10:37 pm

You make it sound easy haha. Maybe if we are adventurous enough my husband and I will try to lay floors ourselves. The floors look beautiful!

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Thank you Melissa, I know for a fact that it was not easy at all. But at the end of the day we saved up a town of money and it came out exactly how we wanted it to be. So we are happy! Thank you so much for stopping by!!

• Reply Shantel Collins October 1, 2016 at 10:12 pm

This is a project that my dad would love to do. He’s a HGTV junkie!!!

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Haha Shantel, so are we. Even though it is much harder than it looks. But when you see the outcome you know it was all worth it!

• Reply Sarah @ Making Joy and Pretty Things October 3, 2016 at 11:43 am

Looks great, Sabrina! You probably saved a fortune doing it yourselves!

• Reply Jennifer October 3, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I wish I had found this post 1 month ago. Me and my husband called the building company for this and it cost us almost all of our salary that month :(. Thanks for the great guide. I’ll save this in case the problem above happens again.

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I am sorry to hear that Jennifer. If it makes you feel any better, it is a lengthy process and it was painful. That way you guys didn’t have to do it yourself. And yes you can use it for future projects. Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

• Reply Lora October 3, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Looks so good looking down that long hallway!!

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Thank you Lora, that is so sweet of you. Hubby made sure to square the entire house. We don’t have any thresholds and it is all lined up perfectly. Not going to lie it was a pain to do it that way but the outcome is just perfect.

• Reply Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins October 8, 2016 at 4:06 am

I love that you did the wood looking tile. It warms up the space and looks great!

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Awe thank you Shani. That is so sweet of you to say!

• Reply Laura October 12, 2016 at 9:39 am

I definitely find a lot of useful projects which are good for repair my house, especially they can help me and my hubby save money. I just bookmarked this project for my hubby! Thanks so much Sabrina!

• Reply Sabrina October 12, 2016 at 11:29 am

I am glad you like them Laura and that you think they are helpful. That was the reason why I started this blog, to help others with their projects.

• Reply Jeffrey October 14, 2016 at 6:31 am

Your living room looks so good! Love your blog. It is very interesting. Have a great weekend!

• Reply Sabrina October 17, 2016 at 1:06 am

Aw, thank you Jeffrey. That is so sweet of you to say! I hope you had a great weekend yourself!

• Reply Erin Taylor November 1, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Such a cool way to put down the flooring. You guys seem to make it too easy, but why I find it so difficult 🙁
    But I’ll keep trying !! Thanks for sharing Sabrina

• Reply Sabrina November 1, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I know for a fact that is nothing but easy! But it is all worth it in the end so yes keep trying!!

• Reply Minnie Scott November 9, 2016 at 4:31 am

Many thanks for your useful information. Last time, I’ve put down tiles for my relative’s room. Results was really unacceptable due to my mistake of grout. Now I know the reason why I failed. Next time, things gonna be alright.

• Reply Sabrina November 9, 2016 at 3:36 pm

You are welcome Minnie!! Sorry to hear about your mistakes but you know what we all make them! I am glad our tips are helpful to you!