October 3, 2016

How to create a picture gallery wall in 4 easy steps

How to Create a gallery wall

Hi everyone,

I can’t wait to share with you today’s projects.  Our walls have been a little blank to say the least.  We never hung up pictures, all we had was a mirror in the entry way.  So I decided to put up a gallery wall above the couch and today I will show how to create a picture gallery wall.

Step 1: Pick a design

I spent a lot of time on Pinterest before I created our gallery wall.  I couldn’t decide what type of gallery wall I wanted to create.  Whether I wanted to add some depth to it or just create a simple picture wall.  In the end I went with a simple gallery wall.  I love the clean and neat look.

Step 2: How to pick pictures

After I decided to go with a simple design I started thinking about what I wanted to display.  Hubby is such a great photographer and I wanted to display some of his “work”.  So I asked him to send me his favorite pictures.  I went with nature pictures he took on his travels and some he took on our cross country road trip.

Note:  There are pages out there that offer free stock pictures like Pablo by buffer.

Step 3: Where to buy picture frames

With the design I picked I decided to go with simple black frames and madding.  I bought our frames at IKEA.  The were super cheap and I loved how simple they look.  The best part they came with madding which made it super easy.  Here are similar frames that I found on Amazon {affiliate link}.  Also, make sure to check out thrift stores or garage sales especially if you want to give your gallery wall some character.

Step 4: How to hang pictures

So I decided to hang 9 pictures in total, three rows with three pictures in each row.  Before I put up the first picture I laid them out on the floor to decide what order I wanted.  Afterwards I picked the middle of the wall and hung the first picture.  Then I hung the pictures to the left and right.  Afterwards I moved on to the top row and then the bottom row.  I used a measuring tape to make sure that the space between picture is the same.  I also used a level to make sure they would all be leveled.

How the final gallery wall looks like

So here is the final look.  I love how simple, clean and neat it looks.  The pictures look really well with the madding.  What do you guys think?  Share it on Pinterest if you like it!

Click here to find more decor ideas for your home.

As always thanks so much for stepping by and happy decorating.

* This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure here.*

• Reply Christin October 3, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Love how you did this. I’m working on my gallery wall.

• Reply Five Marigolds October 3, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I have several walls in need of a photo gallery, but it’s such a daunting project! Thanks for sharing these tips.

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I thought so too, but it went by rather fast and it made such a big impact on our living room. Don’t ask me why but pictures just give the home nice and homey feeling.

• Reply allie October 3, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Great post! I’ve been wanting to do this.

XO,
    Allie

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I am glad you like it Allie. I hope you will have fun creating your own picture wall gallery!

• Reply Melissa October 3, 2016 at 6:38 pm

I love gallery walls. I always find it’s hard to line everything up perfectly — even with the level. Yours looks great!

• Reply Sabrina October 3, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Thank you Melissa, that is so sweet of you to say! I was really nervous myself and it took a few tries especially since my level was too long. But it was easier than I thought. The entire project didn’t take more than 20 minutes. It made such a great impact on our living room though. Definitely worth the try!

• Reply Lauren October 3, 2016 at 9:51 pm

I love gallery walls! Thanks for the tips.

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 4:19 pm

You are welcome Lauren and thank you so much for stopping by!

• Reply Terryn Winfield October 3, 2016 at 10:50 pm

I love it! We are getting ready to move, so I will be decorating a whole new house next month! I will be coming back to all your tutorials for sure, girlie! I would love to have a gallery wall in our living room, or maybe a hallway.

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Aw, thank you Terryn. I am glad you like it! I hope everything goes well with your move and I can’t wait to see what your new home will look like!

• Reply Chavonne Harvey October 3, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Having a picture gallery makes the room look cozy and like family lives there.

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Aw, that is so true. Thank you so much for stopping by Chavonne!

• Reply Alex October 4, 2016 at 2:36 am

What a great gallery wall! Love the step-by-steps.

• Reply Sabrina October 9, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I am glad you love it Alex, thank you so much for stopping by!

• Reply Sharon October 4, 2016 at 8:09 pm

I love a great gallery wall! We have them all over the house. I never thought to get my frames from IKEA, though. Genius! They’re so affordable. BTW, I love your flooring and your sectional couch! We’re looking for a new couch and the one I’ve been thinking about looks a lot like that one. Super cute!

• Reply Kevin E. Brown October 11, 2016 at 10:03 am

I always dream of a gallery wall. We have a lot of photos to hang and usually have difficulties in figuring it out. Thanks for those ideas. They’re all so cool!

• Reply Sabrina October 12, 2016 at 11:27 am

I am glad you like it Kevin, there are so many different options out there and it is so hard to figure out which one to choose. I always say just go with your gut ?

• Reply Kelly October 14, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Great tips! I love your scenery pictures too – it all looks so wonderful together!
    Best,
    Kelly

• Reply Sabrina October 17, 2016 at 1:09 am

Thank you Kelly, the hubby is really talented. We will add some more galleries to the guest bedroom and master bedroom since we still have a town of great pictures.

• Reply Sandy October 24, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Hi Sabrina, I loved your project. It inspired me to get my wall done. I also featured you on A Little Bird Told Me Link Party. Thanks for posting your amazing project and great tutorial.

• Reply Sabrina October 24, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Aw, that is so sweet of you Sandy. I am glad I could inspire you! Thank you so much for featuring me, that truly made my day!!!