October 10, 2016

How to create cotton stems in 4 easy steps

How to create cotton stems in 4 easy steps

Hey lovely friends,

today I will be sharing with you another super quick and easy DIY.  I am such a huge farmhouse style fan which you probably obviously know especially if you follow me on Pinterest and Instagram.  Which is why I love this super easy DIY which will add farmhouse style to any home.  I actually saw a picture on Pinterest a while back from Sarah over on twelveonmain.com.  I had some pine cones left from last Christmas and I gave it a try.  So are you ready to create some cotton stems?

DIY cotton stems – material you need

Branches

Cotton Balls {affiliate link}

Mini Hot Glue Gun {affiliate link}

Glue sticks

Pine cones

DIY cotton stems – Step by step guide

As I said this is such an easy and quick diy.  Let’s get into each step.

Step 1: gather material

So first thing is you want to gather the material.  I took some branches that were laying around in our yard and I had some pine cones left that I got at our neighbor’s yard.  You can actually buy some if you don’t have a park around to collect some.

Step 2: glue cotton rounds to branches

First of all you want to stretch out the cotton balls a little bit to give them a raw look.  Once you have done that apply some glue to the middle of the cotton ball and stick them onto the branch. I did wrap them around the twig at some parts and just glued them to the branch on others.

Step 3: glue pieces of pine cone to the stems

Next split off some pieces from the pine cone, I would recommend to start at the bottom.  (I started at the top with the first cone and it was much more difficult).   Apply glue to each piece of pine cone and stick them onto the twigs.  Try to glue them as close as possible to the cotton ball to secure it to the branch.  I did mix it up and applied the glue to the outside of some pine cone scales and then on the inside as well.  Either way I applied between 2 – 4 pine cone scales per cotton ball.

Step 4: Repeat steps 2 – 3

The last step is just to repeat steps 2 – 3 until you filled up the twigs.  I didn’t really pay attention as to how many cotton balls I applied per branch.  I just did it until I saw it looked nice.

And voila, you are done!  Easy peasy right?  I love the way they turned out and even more the fact that I spend nothing on that DIY project since I had everything I needed.

If you like this DIY, here are all my DIY tutorials.  Loving the farmhouse look?  Here are my favorite farmhouse decor items.

As always thanks so much for stopping by and happy dyi’ng.

* This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure here.*

• Reply Steph Eriksen October 10, 2016 at 2:28 pm

What a lovely DIY! I’m also a fan of the farmhouse aesthetic (probably because I grew up in a rural setting!), and this looks like the perfect centerpiece for my dinner table. I might have to try this out 🙂 Currently scrolling through your farmhouse archives, love your collection!

• Reply Sabrina October 12, 2016 at 11:23 am

I am glad you like it Steph and that you are follow farmhouse lover 😊 How awesome that you got to grow up in a rural setting, I am so jealous. Thank you for stopping by 😊

• Reply Kevin E. Brown October 11, 2016 at 10:00 am

Always fall in love with your DIY projects. They’re all easy to make but work very well. Thanks for sharing and please keep bringing great ideas into blog 🙂

• Reply Sabrina October 12, 2016 at 11:26 am

Thank you so much Kevin, that is so sweet of you to say. I love easy projects because I feel everyone can do them. I always got intimidated with big projects so I decided to start small and then work my way up. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by

• Reply Five Marigolds October 11, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Interesting! This is a project I would have never even thought to DIY!

• Reply Sabrina October 12, 2016 at 11:28 am

I am glad you like it and that I could inspire you to do it yourself.

• Reply Jasmine October 12, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Hi Sabrina, I love your cotton stems, I have been wanting to get them to decorate a room but now with this tutorial I am more than inclined to do it myself as a DIY lover. Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial.

• Reply Sabrina October 17, 2016 at 1:06 am

I am so glad you like them Jasmine and that you are inspired to do them yourself now!

• Reply Kelly October 14, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Shut the front door – this turned out fantastic! You are so creative, I never would have thought about doing something like this.
    Best,
    Kelly

• Reply Sabrina October 17, 2016 at 1:07 am

Aw, thank you Kelly! I did find the idea on twelveonmain.com though so I can’t take all the credit for it!

• Reply Antonella | White House Crafts October 17, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Your stems look beautiful. Thank you for sharing this at The Crafty Corner, and just to let you know, I will be featuring your project at my next party, which begins this Wednesday at 6 am EST. I hope to see you there!

• Reply Sabrina October 19, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Thank you Antonella for your sweet words and even more so for featuring it! That means so much to me!!

• Reply valeire poris April 24, 2017 at 7:41 am

OMG, this is amazing!! I saw this exact bouquet of cotton stems on sale on JoAnna Gaines from HGTV on line store called Magnolia Market and they were very expensive, I Donn’t know something like $6 to $8 a stem and I wanted them so bad but couldn’t afford them. I am so excited I saw this post now I will make them for pennies!!! Thank you so much Sabrina, I love you!!! I’m going to the park today and starting my diy project today. I am over the moon about this!

• Reply Sabrina April 25, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Aw, I am so happy I could help you!! Let me know how they turned out!

• Reply 16 Easy And Cheap DIYs To Make Any Home A Better Place | KT Viral Media June 20, 2017 at 7:43 am

[…] can easily create your own Farmhouse style decor on a budget. These DIY cotton stems are both cheap and easy to […]