November 30, 2016

A Farmhouse Christmas

a farmhouse christmas

Hi my sweet friends,

Christmas is and will always be my favorite season.  Honestly, I love it even more so that I moved to the states.  Especially since I get to combine both American and German traditions.  One of my favorite traditions is to sit down and have a family dinner on Christmas eve.

A Farmhouse Christmas – German Traditions

Christmas in Germany is different than Christmas in America and as much as I love American traditions there are some things that I miss.  One of the biggest things are Christmas markets.  During the first 4 weeks of advent cities all over Germany will host little markets where they decorate the towns with Christmas decors and vendors sell their products.  It is so magical and I just love the atmosphere.

A Farmhouse Christmas – Creating our own traditions

There are a few other traditions which I miss like advent wreaths, advent calendars and actually getting the presents on Christmas eve.  But at the same time I love that I get to experience American traditions like putting up the Christmas the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas stockings.  My favorite thing about the holiday season is to create our own traditions.

A Farmhouse Christmas – Tablescape

One of the traditions that we started last year was to have a nice family dinner on Christmas eve.  I actually cooked a traditional German Christmas meal, ham with potato dumplings, red cabbage and gravy.  It was so delicious and just tasted like home.  I have to admit our table didn’t look that nice though and so I decided this year to go all out!  As you can see I used a lot of plaid this year.

One of my favorite parts is the center piece which I made out of a sugar mold.  I simply added a plaid ribbon around it and placed some pines and holly in each hole.  We bought that sugar mold at the antique extravaganza which is the biggest antique festival in Florida.  The place mats are the same I used for our Thanksgiving tablecape.  As mentioned in that post our china is still mix and match as hubby and I haven’t found anything we really love yet.

I really love our glasses aka old sauce jars.  It really adds a rustic flair to the entire table and rounds up the farmhouse theme quite nicely.

Like our Thanksgiving table our Christmas table is not that fancy but I really like it and I can’t wait to cook another nice German dinner this year.

And now it is share time:  tell me what is your favorite Christmas tradition and how do you celebrate the holidays?  Leave me some comments below and make sure to check out all the other wonderful Christmas tables capes these amazing talented bloggers created!!

Find some more Farmhouse Decor here!

As always thanks so much for stopping by and Happy Holidays!

Christmas Tablescape Blog Hop

Monday

Craftivity Designs / North Country Nest / 2 Bees in a Pod / My Creative Days

Wednesday

Designers Sweet Spot / Our Crafty Mom / Meet Our Life / Life on the Bay Bush

• Reply Red & White Christmas Tablescape - Life on the Bay Bush November 30, 2016 at 1:32 pm

[…] Sweet Spot / Our Crafty Mom / Meet Our Life / Life on the Bay […]

• Reply Amanda November 30, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Now I desperately want a sugar mold! Tablescape turned out beautiful!

• Reply Sabrina November 30, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Thank you Amanda, that is so sweet of you to say!

• Reply Kelly November 30, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I love the plaid and your new Christmas traditions! I like the mish-mash of dishes – that’s how we are too. Matching dishes is boring, right?! I am sure your family is going to love celebrating Christmas and eating a delicious dinner at this table 🙂 We do a family dinner on Christmas Eve too, with our extended family. I just love the holday season – it’s such a great time to honor traditions and made new ones!
    Best,
    Kelly

• Reply Sabrina November 30, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Thank you so much Kelly for your sweet words. You are right this is the perfect season to honor traditions and to create new ones.

• Reply Kate November 30, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I love the rustic feel and the touches of plaid detail you used… something about a red-based plaid just always screams ‘Christmas’ to me. Absolutely beautiful tablescape!

• Reply Sabrina November 30, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Thank you Kate, that is so sweet of you! I am so happy you like it. Have a great holiday season!

• Reply Belle November 30, 2016 at 2:59 pm

The set up is so pretty!

One Awesome Momma

• Reply Sabrina November 30, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Thank you Belle, I am so happy you like it!

• Reply Lindsay Eidahl November 30, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Love the plaid! I am a sucker for plaid! Your table is perfect! Have a very Merry Christmas!

• Reply Dawn November 30, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Beautiful tablescape! I love how simple and rustic, yet classy, it is. Looks like you are all ready for the holidays 🙂 Cheers!

• Reply Sabrina December 1, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Thank you Dawn, that is so sweet of you to say. Yes we are all ready! Have a happy holiday season!

• Reply Krysten December 1, 2016 at 4:42 am

I love this entire layout, it reminds me of home!

• Reply Sabrina December 1, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Aw thank you Krysten. Happy Holidays!

• Reply Lora December 1, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I love the how you used the sugar mold! Also, the plaid napkins are perfectly Christmas.

• Reply Sabrina December 1, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Thank you Lora, that is so sweet of you. I am so in love with our sugar mold which will become a staple on our dining room table.

• Reply courtney December 2, 2016 at 3:33 am

That is such a gorgeous tablescape! It is the picture perfect vision of the holidays!

La Belle Sirene

• Reply Sabrina December 2, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Aw, that is so sweet of you to say Courtney. Thank you so much for stopping by and happy holidays!

• Reply Zan Turner December 2, 2016 at 10:35 pm

It is so simple and truly beautiful Sabrina. I love your tradition from your original home. The German town tradition sounds so magical and the food delish! I have heard of red cabbage as a German dish but not the potato with dumplings one. Lovely table!

• Reply Sabrina December 5, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Thank you Zan that is so sweet of you to say. Yes our traditions are fun and I truly miss them. But I love my new home here and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

• Reply Amie December 3, 2016 at 5:10 am

I have farmhouse envy on both design and structure. This was beautiful!

• Reply Sabrina December 5, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Thank you Amie, that was so sweet of you to say!

• Reply Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins December 3, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Germany because I have ancestors from there. The markets sound magical!

• Reply Sabrina December 5, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Aw you should totally go one day. Especially during Christmas time, it is just beautiful!

• Reply Sarah December 4, 2016 at 3:13 am

I absolutely love the entire tablescape! Especially that sugar mold – genius!!

• Reply Sabrina December 5, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Thank you Sarah, that is so sweet of you to say. The sugar mold is my favorite part as well!

• Reply Colette @ restyle it wright December 5, 2016 at 1:28 pm

you must miss your family from back home terribly! so sweet of you to incorporate both cultures in a Christmas Eve dinner for your family. The red plaid looks so cute!

• Reply Sabrina December 5, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Thank you Colette that is so sweet of you to say. I do miss them especially during the holidays but I get to spend it with my husband which is wonderful!

• Reply Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} December 5, 2016 at 8:37 pm

What was the sugar mold originally used for exactly? I’ve never seen anything like it. But, I NEED one now! Haha
    Love your table scape! 🙂
    XO! Vanessa

• Reply Sabrina December 5, 2016 at 8:54 pm

That’s funny that you asked. The hubby and I asked ourselves the same question and had to look it up before we bought it. They used it for sugar production back in the day, they would poor raw sugar cane syrup into them and let it dry to produce raw brown sugar cones. So much for the history lesson, haha! Glad you like it!

• Reply Chelsea Wolf December 9, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Love the rustic, farmhouse tablescape! A distant cousin of mine posted some pictures on Facebook at the market in Dresden. It looks so beautiful and festive! Maybe one day I’ll be able to go back to Germany during the Advent season!