November 7, 2016

An honest Home Tour

an honest home tour

Hi everyone,

today’s post will be a little different than usual.  As much as I love showcasing our home online and show you guys how much we did.  At the same time I don’t want you to think that we are perfect and that our home always looks perfect.  I have seen  a few people including sweet Ashley from At home with Ashley do an honest home tour recently and I loved the idea.  So I decided to do the same and invite you into our home on a normal given Sunday.

An honest Home Tour – I am somewhat like Monica

Ok so for all the friends fans out there, I hate to admit it but I am kinda like Monica.  I might not be as extrem as she is but I really love a clean house.  Nonetheless life happens and we do have stuff lying around the house.  Also our house it not quite done yet so there are corners of the house that I usually don’t show.  Like our front door.  I know it looks super bad but we want to build a custom door ourselves.  You can’t do this type of project during the summer in Florida so it is on our list for winter.  Also all the stuff by the door I used during the summer trying to grow some grass.  Well it didn’t go too well but what can you do.

An honest home tour – Forgetfulness means having stuff laying around

Our dining room table is usually free of clutter but I was working on a Thanksgiving tablescape.  Which explains all the decor items and some other stuff on the table.  I didn’t want to put it somewhere and then forgot about.  It has happened in the past not going to lie.

Like our dining room the kitchen is usually clean as well.  However I always unload everything in there when I get home.  Like my purse, shopping bags and whatever else I am caring with me when I walk in.

In the past I never showed you guys one area of our kitchen since it is kind of weird looking.  Our plan is to put up shelves on that wall.  Hubby cut them and already marked the wall ready to put them up but he was called in earlier for his deployment.  So I was stuck with blue tape on our kitchen wall.  Also some of hubby’s stuff arrived when I took these pictures and he bought us this beautiful vase.  I haven’t figured out where I want to put it so it will stay right were it is for now.

An honest home tour – why I need to make the bed

One thing where I might be as obsessed as Monica is the bed.  I am not kidding I have to make the bed before I leave the house.  It drives me nuts if the beds are not made and no I don’t know why.  Hubby and I actually had some discussions about it since he thinks it is unnecessary.  More so because he usually gets to sleep longer than me which means he has to make the bed.  He really doesn’t like doing it but he tries his best to do it which is super cute.

Our guest bedroom is usually always ready.  However, I also end up storing stuff in there from time to time.  Especially the things that I want to keep out of puppy’s reach.  Like this guitar I bought for $5 at a garage sale and I want to send it to my dad in Germany.  The picture frame was another decor item hubby bought and I was trying to figure out where to put it.

One more thing that you usually never get to see are the custom closets that hubby built for us in all the bedrooms.  This one is in our guest bedroom and we have the same layout in our office which will be a nursery one day.  I love how they turned out, he truly outdid himself.  I will be sharing a tutorial on them some day but for now you will have to make due with the picture.

An honest home tour – I might have a closet just like Monica

Sorry for all the friends references but it is my favorite show.  Fun fact, once a year I actually go ahead and watch all the episode all over again.  It is a cute tradition and it just gives me this warm and fuzzy feeling.  I am currently watching them hence all the quotes.  So anyway for those of you who watched friends do you remember the messy closet?  Well embarrassingly I don’t just have a closet but rather an entire room.  We loving call our office “the Rumpelkammer” which is German and means a room full of junk.

The biggest issue we have as of now is that we don’t have any proper shelving or a family command center.  So all of our mail piles up on our desk and some of our books are piling up in this one shelve.  Which hubby’s dad gave him before we started dating.  As a matter of fact almost all of his furniture were gifts and we started buying new furniture as time went on.  One of the projects high on our list is to build a hutch and some shelves so we can store our books.  I also use this room to work on some project like reupholstering a chair.  If you follow me on Instagram you read that I reupholstered a chair during hurricane Matthew.  Well this one is the other chair that still needs work.

And this one in the corner here is the one I did.  I never show you that exact corner of our master bedroom because we keep our hampers there.  We still have to figure out a better solution for them.  They are so ugly and I can’t look at them much longer.  As you can see the cat loves to snuggle on the bed and nap there for hours.

An honest home tour – We are normal

So guys this was a rather scary post.  But I wanted to show I am just as normal as you are.  Sometimes we can get so caught up by perfect homes.  We stop appreciating what we have and we might even get jealous.  Let me tell you I have been there especially last year when we put down the tile.  Renovating a house is a lot of work and it can get discouraging.  I had a lot of moments where I just wanted to give up and move!  We still have a lot of work ahead of us but I love our home.  It is not perfect and it can be a little messy sometimes but that is alright.  Life is not about having a perfect home but about creating memories.  And one more thing while I am honest, this is the “tripod” that I use to take my pictures.  Fancy?!

As always thanks for stopping by and happy living!

• Reply Samantha November 7, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Your home is really pretty. Mine used to be that way before I had 6 children. Now, it is a daily struggle.

• Reply Sabrina November 7, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Aw, thank you Samantha. I am sure your home is still beautiful and as I said our home is not perfect either. You should have seen after my husband came home from his deployment. We had stuff everywhere for a week, lol!!

• Reply Rebecca Hicks November 7, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Your home is gorgeous! I love how honest you were, but I have to say… I’m still impressed with everything! I am a lot like Monica too, and can’t stand clutter or things not being where they should be.

• Reply Sabrina November 8, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Thank you Rebecca, that is really sweet of you to say. I am glad I am not alone with my “Monica issue”. lol!

• Reply Jen @ Saving with Spunk November 8, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Your house is lovely! I wish I had the motivation to make the bed every day! love that table by the front door!

• Reply Sabrina November 9, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Thank you Jen, that is so sweet of you to say! Well I wish I could leave the bed unmade and not get that irritated by it, lol!!

• Reply Colette @ restyle it wright November 11, 2016 at 3:56 pm

What a sweet tour! I love seeing the ‘normal’ side of everyones homes! If we’re being honest…i almost NEVER make my bed! haha

• Reply Sabrina November 13, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Thank you Colette for your sweet words. I am happy you liked my honest side and your secret is safe with me.?

• Reply Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} November 12, 2016 at 9:26 am

I love the idea of an honest home tour! I have to say, though, that your “messy” looks more like my “normal”. I guess I don’t have that Monica gene. Haha
    Thanks for sharing your home with us!
    XO! Vanessa

• Reply Sabrina November 13, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Haha, thank you for your sweet words. If I am honest I wish I didn’t have that Monica gene ?

• Reply Kelly November 13, 2016 at 2:45 am

This is such a fantastic idea! I love how honest you are about your daily living habits. Everything looks so great – I especially love the custom closets. I’m a sucker for those 🙂 I got such a kick out of your homemade tripod; nice thinking! I can’t wait to see how the shelving turns out in the kitchen – I am sure it’ll be gorgeous!
    Best,
    Kelly

• Reply Sabrina November 13, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Haha, thank you Kelly! I am particularly proud of my tripod!!

• Reply Sarah @ Making Joy and Pretty Things November 13, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I LOVE this idea!! It’s discouraging to see “pinterest perfect” homes all the time – and honestly your house is GORGEOUS. I love that you’re like Monica, that’s hysterical. I wish I had some Monica in me. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Reply Sabrina November 13, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Aw, thank you Sarah. Believe me my husband and I both with I was a little less like Monica. But oh well ?

• Reply Lora November 14, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Your honest home is still so pretty, farmhouse and relaxed 🙂 It feels welcoming and warm. The tape on the walls cracks me up — that is so us!! And, the custom closets, jealous 🙂

• Reply Chelsea Wolf November 14, 2016 at 9:39 pm

I, too, have a Rumpelkammer! Our 3rd bedroom/guest room. But with baby #2 due at the end of January, that room is getting cleared out slowly but surely! It’s a blessing to finally find a place for things that have been placed there ‘temporarily’ for over 2.5 years! Ha!

• Reply Sabrina November 14, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Aw, I am sure you will turn your Rumpelkammer into a beautiful nursery.

• Reply Zan Turner November 16, 2016 at 1:52 am

LOL! Sorry the “tripod” caught me off guard!! It is so funny! I think I’ll have to try this one. I love your honest home tour and had a few laughs through out. I thought the hamper system was organized until you mentioned you could no longer stand to see them. Anyway, your home is still so “homey” and not a total disaster. And yes, we sometimes could get caught up in the perfect we see online. I have three small kids so no perfection here. Thank you for the honest tour and all the DIYs by your hubby is amazing. Ashley from At Home with Ashley is also a lovely one to follow.

• Reply Sabrina November 16, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Aw, I am happy I could make you laugh. Thank you for your sweet and encouraging words.

• Reply Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins November 17, 2016 at 3:08 am

I love all the light you have in your house! You can never have enough windows. And I totally know what you mean about not wanting to show off certain parts of your house–I am definitely the same way. But I love the idea of an honest home tour.

• Reply Sabrina November 17, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Thank you Shani for your sweet comment and for stopping by. We do love the light in our home that is for sure!